Parent website

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Lunchtime walk in the woods

As my profile says I'm out everyday with Alfie, so this gives me a good opportunity to get camera time. Today was the first time in a while it is clear and sunny so we headed out without wet weather gear on. 

Taking images in bright direct sunlight is tough and not ideal, the perfect light is a nice haze or light cloud base which softens everything.

Playing with the light can really make an image stand out. Using the harsh lights or the shadows it leaves can add drama or effect, although quite difficult sometimes.

Its more of a reason to go out because there are so many options available in the settings. Experiment and see what works and what doesn't is a good way to learn more about your camera and photography in general


This was a stream running over pebbles. I was more interested with the colour left by the sunlight





D700 200mm ISO100 F4.0 1/4000sec
This is a track left by an Army land rover. Getting really low and making sure a lot of the puddle is in frame adds I think. Only so much you can do with mud and water though.


D700 200mm ISO100 F4.0 1/2000
This pine branch looks sultry on the blue sky. There had just been some logging of pine trees and the smell was quite intense




D700 70mm ISO100 F2.8 1/1000
I love these sorts of images and I wish I took my super wide lens with me. However this captured the mood in the woods well and you can almost imagine the deer in the background. Maybe I'll photoshop one in?







D700 ISO100 70mm F3.5 1/50

After a ridiculous amount of rolling in mud, a swim was in order. He didn't mind, he loves it, the colder the better.



D700 ISO100 200mm F4.0 1/4000

And back he comes with all his sticks.





D700 ISO100 200mm F4.0 1/4000



Come spring there will be dozen more opportunities in the woods, hopefully with more colour.

The evenings are becoming longer and on sunny bright days these are the best times to go out. Earlier posts goes into the "golden hour" and its certainly easier to capture images.

Have a good Wednesday
Richard

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, they are very welcome